On 09/25/2014 10:28 AM, Steve Traylen wrote:
> Excerpts from Antonio Trande's message of 2014-09-25 17:15:45 +0200:
>> Hi Jim.
>>
>> On 09/25/2014 04:36 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:
>>> Earlier this week on the CentOS devel list I proposed an interim method
>>> to help make it easier for centos contributions to flow into epel.
>>>
>>> Essentially the proposal is that CentOS would like a 'curator' group
>>> (name can be determined later) similar to the wrangler's group.
>>>
>>> Members of this group would be responsible for shepherding packages
>>> designated by the various SIG efforts in CentOS through the process of
>>> getting these packages in epel. This means that rather than having an
>>> individual owner, packages would have group ownership. Members of this
>>> group will be required to have access to make package modifications on
>>> the CentOS side so that they meet the packaging standards for EPEL.
>>> Additionally, it would help to have an EPEL proven packager as part of
>>> the group as well in order to help make things move a little quicker.
>>>
>>> Would this be acceptable from an EPEL standpoint? What would be required
>>> from an EPEL perspective to make this happen?
>>>
>> EPEL is for RHEL, Scientific Linux, Oracle Enterprice other than CentOS;
>> would we need of special "curator" group for every distro?
>> CentOS contributions could flow simply by taking part on EPEL and by
>> integrating any special (previously discussed) packaging need .

I don't see that this prevents any other groups from participating at
all. The idea is for the benefit of the other groups as well, as they
ultimately would get a larger package set to use.

> This would be my take also, getting pkgs into EPEL is a pretty well
> defined process as is a becoming a packager. I don't see an extra step/group
> is needed within CentOS is needed.

It is defined. It's also perceived as cumbersome, laborious and painful,
and so many would-be contributors don't even attempt to contribute. This
is simply a proposal allowing those who are willing to act in place of
the original packagers to help contribute. This benefits every group
mentioned above, instead of keeping packages within the project.

> Group ownership of pkgs in EPEL? So many people can own a package
> already. I am unsure what the 'wrangler' group example is.

Why list 10 owners when you can list a single group?

Wranglers discussed and defined during last week's meeting:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2014-September/010153.html

--
Jim Perrin