SJS> * The packaging guidelines for each EPEL version are not
SJS>   clear. This is mainly due to the fact that they are usually based
SJS>   off of older versions of Fedora (Fedora-6 for EPEL-5, Fedora-12
SJS>   for EPEL-6, and Fedora-18 for EPEL-7) that may conflict with each
SJS>   other or with how things are being done in current EPEL.

I've been trying to help with this.  I strongly believe that Fedora must
be allowed to move forward (and be cleaned up) without having to worry
about what EPEL is going to do, but even then there are plenty of
opportunities for EPEL to get some of those advancements as well.  Now
that we have epel-rpm-macros we can try to "backport" some of the
packaging progress that Fedora is making, though of course we'll never
be able to do everything.  And there is an issue about EPEL packaging
differing from RHEL packaging, or packaging for other add-on
repositories.  So it's a complex issue.

Also note that the EPEL guidelines can be edited by anyone, so if
something is missing or unclear, then anyone can fix it.

 - J<