On 16 February 2016 at 21:51, Jason L Tibbitts III <ti...@math.uh.edu> wrote:

> SJS> * The packaging guidelines for each EPEL version are not
> SJS>   clear. This is mainly due to the fact that they are usually based
> SJS>   off of older versions of Fedora (Fedora-6 for EPEL-5, Fedora-12
> SJS>   for EPEL-6, and Fedora-18 for EPEL-7) that may conflict with each
> SJS>   other or with how things are being done in current EPEL.
>
> I've been trying to help with this.  I strongly believe that Fedora must
> be allowed to move forward (and be cleaned up) without having to worry
> about what EPEL is going to do, but even then there are plenty of

Thank you for your help here. I think most of the problems were either
people getting complained at because package X from 2008 in EL-5
didn't conform to current Fedora standards, or vice versa. Most of the
time they would like to have a clear set of guidelines they can point
to know what the henry they are supposed to do or not do in a package.
Being able to use the epel-rpm-macros I believe will help this a lot.

> opportunities for EPEL to get some of those advancements as well.  Now
> that we have epel-rpm-macros we can try to "backport" some of the
> packaging progress that Fedora is making, though of course we'll never
> be able to do everything.  And there is an issue about EPEL packaging
> differing from RHEL packaging, or packaging for other add-on
> repositories.  So it's a complex issue.
>
> Also note that the EPEL guidelines can be edited by anyone, so if
> something is missing or unclear, then anyone can fix it.

I would dispute that assertion. Mainly because most of the people who
think something is missing or unclear don't know what the answer
should be. There are also a lot of burned bridges in the current
documentation where people did a lot of work to change things only to
get complaints and reverts (several times). This is due to various
people thinking the charter of EPEL means different things and that
there are "promises" that EPEL is supposed to do even if no one has
ever accomplished it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.