Filip Pizlo wrote:
I think it's better if you pick one use case and get it totally right. You're not going to get the "optimize my JS code with types" use case right. So stick to the binary data mapping use case, and allow arbitrary aliasing.

I am on the same page; any quibbling from me about your question 2 has an answer no stronger than "the machine-type info doesn't hurt performance, and could help some engines".

It would hurt developers if they fell under the influence of some bad use-structs-for-speed cult, but (especially from what you say about JSC) this doesn't sound like a big risk.