From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 6:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "Life at the Limits of Physical Laws" talk at OSETI 3
Conference

Is Drake's Theory complete?  That is, proposing that an intelligent species
were to arise, and have civilization for a reasonably brief time, I'd
imagine
that they would by extension create artifacts which could outlast them.

Consider Voyager.  If our world is destroyed in a nuclear holocaust
tomorrow,
Voyager will still be around a long time from now.  Doesn't it follow that
the more advanced and long-lived a theoretical population is, the greater
the
chance of it constructing some sort of artifact which could outlast them?

It follows:  if there are or were intelligent species out there for
'trillions of years'... where are their Voyagers?

-- JHB