> On 16 Jul 2014, at 19:31, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

>>> That wasn't what I was implying... I see not point to "believe" or not
>>> "believe"... Why *shoud* I believe anyway ?
>>>

>>> Just to clear things up, I use the common part of all "analytical
>>> definition of belief theory and knowledge theory", and in particular
>>> (knowing p) -> (believing p).
>>>
>>> If you know that there is milk in the fridge, you believe that there is
>>> milk in the fridge.
>>>
>>> The key difference is that the reciprocal is false. If you believe there
>>> is milk in the fridge , you can still "not know it".
>>>

>> Well I can accept such language in mathematics where you make clear what
>> is meant, not in every day use.... when someone says he *believes* in god,
>>

>> I use "believe" in the same mundane sense that "I believe that there is
>> orange juice in the fridge,
>>

> I believe in *god* is not like I believe there is orange juice in the
> fridge.
>

> What is the difference?

It imply faith, dogma. It imply an ontology about the world, the reality.

>> and later like in I believe in the axiom of elementary arithmetic and in
>> its first order logical consequence, or in "I don't believe the machine k
>> will stop on the input j.
>>

>> that's not what he meant... That's what I don't like in your approach to
>> insist using everyday word in everyday language *but* with your own
>> mathematical meaning. It's misleading you should see it.
>>

>> I use "belief" in the doxastic sense of the analytical philosophers. Iuse
>> "belief" in the sense of Theaetetus, Gerson, etc.
>>

> You use those words in a misleading way... You do what you want of
> course... but you're clearly totally misunderstood when you talk to a
> believer.
>

> I am probably misunderstood by the "blind-faith" type of believers,

That means 99% of the persons who say openly they "believe in god".

> like the strong atheists

I've never met such kind of "atheist".

> I met from time to time (like John Clark to give the nearest example).

He surely doesn't believe in abrahamic god... And I quite agree that using
that word for first cause type of explanation is bound to be misunderstood.
"God" has too much history to be used in the sense you use it.

Quentin