But that only works for cells within the same row. When I try it, for
example, to create a formula in C2 referencing for the 2nd row in Even
and the 3rd row in Odd it works correctly for C2, but when I copy C2
to subsequent rows in C, the formula continues to point to the
original vales in Even and Odd, i.e., it uses absolute addresses for
Even and Odd instead of relative addtesses.

On Jun 24, 4:56 pm, Fabio Lemos <flnle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Place the excell cursor in the C2 cell.
> Create a name range with name Odd and referencing the cell A2 without "$"
> for rows, e.g.: =$A2
> Do the same for Even refeering to B3: =$B3
>
> Then you cuold use the formula = Odd+Even
>
> 2009/6/24 jander <jim.ander...@bankofamerica.com>
>

> > (I've been told that my previous post was confusing, so I'll try
> > again.)
>
> > Suppose I have 2 columns, one contains odd numbers, the other even
> > numbers. They are named ranges "Odd" and "Even", respectively.
>
> >      A               B             C
> > 1    Odd           Even
> > 2    1               2
> > 3    3               4
> > 4    5               6
> > 5    7               8
>
> > I want to create a formula in cell C3 which adds the contents of B3 to
> > A2, but which uses the range names instead of B3 and A2. I can do this
> > if I'm trying to add values from the same row. For example, instead of
> > B3 to A3 I can use Odd + Even. But I don't see how to do this for
> > cells in different rows, eg, B3 + A2.
>
> > I hope this is clear.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jim
>
> --
> Fabio Lemos
>
> e-mail: flnle...@gmail.com

1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com