Relay is delivery of SMTP mail outside of your Exchange organization's address space
(exactly what you want to enable for these clients).  Basically, your Exchange server
has been configured not to allow anyone to use SMTP to connect to your server and send
messages unless they are bound for an Exchange mailbox on that server.  This is a good
thing.  You need to configure exceptions to allow these clients to send mail to the
internet.

To allow this, find out the IP address of each machine that will need to relay.  On
the routing restritions page, which is located under the routing tab of the IMS
properties page, add the IP addresses.  Stop and re-start Message Transfer Agent and
Internet Mail Service.

This is assuming that your Exchange installation is up-to-date (at least SP3 I think).

Eric