Hello,

We ran Arcserve here for about 4 years until just recently.  I stopped
upgrading after the Y2K patches for ArcserveIT.  "Updates" just seemed to
provide less product functionality, and plunge you deeper into their milking
of the product.

Their "default Raima database" has problems if it grows too large.  That is
if you're backing up more than 3 servers, and you want to keep an "on-line"
record of what has been backed up for more than 2 weeks you're probably
going to have problems with it.

I never had a problem with Restores.  If it said it backed up the data, it
did.  This would be for general User files, as well as Exchange database
restores.  I'd restore Exchange to the lab every now and then, and as long
as I'd go through the usual disaster recovery steps I never had a problem.

We're now currently running  Veritas the last couple months (BE 8.5/8.6).
"Product differentiation" and annoying licensing baloney is just as strong
here as it is with Computer Associates.   Product support seems to be much
better though.

Given the prices they're charging for Backup software, drives, and media, if
I were running a small shop I'd think about kludging together a server with
a bunch of cheap IDE drives, and backup to disk.  Swap the IDE drives like
you would tape media.  They cost about the same now, and might even have a
better shelf life.

Brent