This logic seems faulty to me in two ways:

1) "How many users you are willing to have without e-mail when it
fails" *is* a valid question.  Even if the total person-minutes of
downtimes stays constant (which I don't agree with either--see
next point), having half of your users unable to work at one time
may be very different (for your business) than having none of
them able to work.  My office only has about 200 mailboxes, but
we have very high uptime requirements for our business (we
are a trading firm), so I would never consider putting all of
these mailboxes on a single server (they are on 2 currently).
At least if one server goes down, half the users are
unaffected.

2) I think your person-minutes calculation is wrong.  More
precisely, I think it is incorrect to assume that if a
2000-user server has 99.95% uptime, that two 1000-user
servers each have 99.95% uptime.  Downtime is calculated
as frequency of "downtime" events (unplanned or planned)
and the duration of those events.  Assuming a scenario
that requires a restoral, consistency check, or some
other time-consuming Exchange process, the number of
users (and hence size of the store) are a major factor
in determining the length of the downtime incident.
So in effect, by reducing the number of users on a server,
you may be reducing the total downtime (time-to-recovery).
So if time-to-recovery of a 1000-person server is 60%
of time-to-recovery of a 2000-person server, then the
total person-minutes of downtime in the 2 1000-person
servers is 2 * 1000 * .0005 * .6 = 315,360 (not 525,600).
[If a lot of the downtime is planned and duration is
irrespective of server-size, then this effect is smaller.]

The point about reducing inter-server communications is probably
valid, and it certainly is true that having very many small
servers is probably a bad solution from a reliability
standpoint (management is less likely to be as good).

Peter