From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:30 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: OOF Messages to the Internet

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, at 3:09pm, Sandhya Pai wrote:
>  Could someone give me specific examples or pointers on how can I
> justify not doing it or your opinions on why it's safe or not?

  One of our customers insisted we turn it on.  We did so.  Then @Home went
out of business, but someone with OOO turned on still managed to get a
message from someone @home.net.  OOO sent to @home.net, but got a bounce
message back.  That bounce message trigger the OOO again.  The system looped
like that until over 50,000 messages had been processed and 2+ GB of disk
space had been consumed by transaction log files, at which point the IS
crashed.  It took several hours to clean up the mess.

  OOO is turned off, now.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| The opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do
| not | necessarily represent the views or policy of any other person,
| entity or  | organization.  All information is provided without
| warranty of any kind.  |