I have looked at all 3 articles and I think the errors I'm getting are a
symptom of a related issue.

I have noticed that if the server is restarted, the system attendant
service and dependant services do not start. They do work however, if
they are started manually. The system attendant service uses the local
system account to start. Note that even a new mailbox, not only a moved
one, is unable to receive mail on this server.

Here are 2 NDR copies:

"The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce
between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.  Contact
your administrator."

"Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, because the
message was forwarded more than the maximum allowed times. This could
indicate a mail loop."

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Santosh