On Wed, 7 Aug 2024, Cam Ellison via Exim-users wrote:

For my sins, I built and continue to operate a website for a local adult football association. Email services are provided via Exim and Dovecot for a few positions, but most email is sent by the website itself.

To regularise access to email, I recently decided to move the users to vmail and dispense with having home directories, etc. Only one internal administrative user remains as a true local user. The necessary information for the others resides in a MySQL database which is also used by Dovecot.

In the process of making the transition, I have run afoul of the need to sanitise $local_part and $domain. The result is that it is no longer possible to send or receive emails involving those accounts. Users can log in and read mail.

The exim configuration is monolithic: /etc/exim4/exim4.conf. I've been using exim for the best part of 30 years, and cribbed the existing file from one of my other sites. It has worked fine until now.

Here are the router, transport, and authenticator settings. Included at the top is a set of macros that I found on a website during my frantic Google searches. The actual display of $local_part and $domain varies because I have been trying everything: this is just the current mess. There are no error messages on starting exim.

Macros:

 DETAINTFILE = /etc/exim4/detaint
 BADCHARS = \N[^A-Za-z0-9_.-]+\N
 SAFELOCALPART = ${lookup{${sg{$local_part}{BADCHARS}{_}}} lsearch*,ret=key{DETAINTFILE}}  SAFEDOMAIN = ${lookup{${sg{$domain}{BADCHARS}{_}}} lsearch*,ret=key{DETAINTFILE}}

I think looking up local_parts and $local_part_data
in the exim spec.txt will help you.

You may need an appropriate ACL too -
possibly acl_check_rcpt or acl_smtp_rcpt

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                      Kendal, UK
                   and...@aitchison.me.uk