I see. So when one Yahoo mail server rejects a message for "unusual volume
or user complaints", exim repeats the attempt with another Yahoo server.
When a mailing list delivery to several thousand recipients (around half of
them at Yahoo serviced addresses) somehow triggered Yahoo to start blocking
us, the problem from their end was multiplied by 5 and all the retries
keep us from getting unblocked. (All of our messages are authenticated
SPF+DKIM+DMARC and our subscribers are double opted-in.)

I don't know enough about exim configuration and retry rules. So is there a
way to not try the other four Yahoo IP addresses immediately when the
response is for "unusual volume" or "user complaints". I gather that exim
bases retries on mail server IP address rather than domain. We participate
in the Yahoo feedback loop and get very few complaints which are
automatically unsubscribed from all future mailings from us to any of our
mailing lists.

I've cancelled all of the mailing list messages from our mail queue, but
there are still around 40 individual (non-mailing-list) messages in the
queue. Do I need to wait for the retries to be exhausted or can I trigger a
return-to-sender sooner to get our volume to Yahoo close to zero for a
while?

I just don't know how to proceed at this point to get things back to normal.