On May 14, 2008, at 7:13 PM, sparaig wrote:

> "Here, we offer a theoretical
> framework, based on traditional meditation texts and
> modern neuroscientific conceptions, in which some standard
> meditations are grouped into two broad categories:
> focused attention (FA) and open monitoring (OM) meditation"
>

> No mention of a "Buddhist meditation praxis." The article says
> explicitly
> that it attempts to group some standard  mediations into two broad
> categories.

Here's what is says:

"To narrow the explanandum to a more tractable scope, we
use Buddhist contemplative techniques and their clinical
secular derivatives as a paradigmatic framework [7,6,7].
Among the wide range of practices within the Buddhist
tradition, we further narrow this review to two common
styles of meditation, FA and OM (Boxes 1,2), which are
often combined, whether within a single session or over the
course of a practitioner’s training."

> OK it doesn't claim to put them ALL into these two categories, but
> it seems
> obvious that YOU put TM into the "focused attention meditation"
> category, and
> previous work by the same authors has done the same (said work you
> have cited
> in this forum, I might point out).

That's because I'm trained in meditation and both the Hindu and the
Buddhist traditions and am familiar with their instructions and
different techniques. If you aren't you'll continue making the same
factual errors--I have to assume--from poor or misunderstood training.
Transcending meditation is a style of Shamatha (of which there are
hundreds of different techniques). It doesn't matter if you like that
or not, that's just how it is. :-)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: