On Oct 16, 2008, at 4:28 AM, sparaig wrote:

But I cn draw parallels to the EEG and other physiological correlates of the TM "Transcendental Consciousness" state to the descriptions of Turiya that require far less hand-waving, and in fact, while the EEG is strking, it doesn't
resemble any pathology that I am  aware of.

Hand waving? Who's hand-waving? They've just published their results. It's not their fault the scientific world found it amazing that there was finally evidence of a fourth state of consciousness!

http://web.me.com/lawsonenglish/Site/Meditation_EEG.html

Cherry-picked examples, in pictorial form have little meaning. It's clearly meant to mislead the gullible. If you're familiar with fourier processing of medical data, you'd know that there are MANY ways to display and output data. But you'll notice here, we don't have enough information to know what's really being shown. Instead the hope appears to be to deceive people with an image and let them connect the dots, based on suggestive language of the TM org "experts".

Things that make you go "hmmmm..."

I agree.

And one cntral point: the thalamic activity of the EEG of the BUddhist meditators goes up during their meditation activity, while it goes down during TM practice.

Well since samadhi hasn't been yet observed in any TM research out there, it's really rather meaningless now, isn't it? There are all sorts of sleep stages that have long been seen in the EEG of TMers, so this isn't a huge surprise!

You're not waving your hand are you?