Londonerry, NH
October 17th, 2008
(snip)
At a glitzy fundraising event in Manhattan at which Bruce Springsteen and Billy
Joel performed Mr Obama warned high-roller supporters: "Don't underestimate the
capacity of Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Don't
underestimate our ability to screw it up."
But much of Mr Obama's speech in Londonderry - punctuated by cries of "We all
love you Obama", "I love you" and "We will work with you" - was devoted to the
kind of quasi-religious sentiments and motivational-coach style exhortations,
the kind of pride that set him up for a big fall in January.
"I want you to believe," said the candidate, clad in an open-necked shirt and
barn jacket. "Not so much believe just in me but believe in yourselves. Believe
in the future. Believe in the future we can build together. I'm confident
together we can't fail."
There was a carnival atmosphere among the crowd of some 4,000, who almost
drowned Mr Obama out as he reached his crescendo and said: "I promise you. We
won't just win New Hampshire. We will win this election and, you and I
together, we're going to change the country and change the world."
Mr Obama was described as "preternaturally confident" in a gushing endorsement
by the Washington Post on Friday.
His supreme self-belief has also been the target of late-night comedians. "With
just 19 days left until the election, Barack Obama warned supporters today to
guard against overconfidence," Tina fey of Saturday Night Live reported.
"Then he boarded Air Force One, blasted 'We Are The Champions' and shouted 'I'm
King of the World'."
Both Democrats and Republicans in New Hampshire appear convinced that Mr Obama
will win.
"We feel we're on the brink of a whole new life in this country," said Betsy
Whitman, 69.
"Sure, he'll win," said Marlene Hulme, 70, at the Londonderry event. "Our
expectations were high today and he knocked it out of the park."
A lone McCain supporter at the rally said she too was convinced that the
Republican nominee was finished. "McCain has lost," said Deborah Barnhart, 48,
who runs a landscaping business.
"He's lost because the Messiah has spoken and we're going to change the world.
That's all people want to hear after eight years of Bush. Obama thinks he's
won. Everyone here thinks he's won."