--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <richardhughes103@>
wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > As I said yesterday Darwin's genuis was explaining the
> > amazing complexity of life using simple, observable chemical
> > processes. Up til then everyone had assumed that something
> > as amazing as us must have been created by something even
> > more amazing.
>
> It seems to me that you are mixing up two quite separate questions
> here (Just as Dawkins did in his recent TV series in the UK):
>
> Q1) How does the diversity of life come about? ie. How do complex,
> sophisticated attributes develop from simpler organisms. This is
your
> first sentence. Darwinism seems to be an excellent explanation for
> that. And it stands opposed to those religious beliefs that hold
that
> all the species we find on Earth were plonked there some time
ago 'of
> a piece' by God.
>
> Q2) How does the animate evolve from the inanimate?

Nobody knows, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
The earliest fossils are 3.5 billion years old and they
are simple bacteria, which is all there was for a billion
years.

Nobody knows the exact climate and chemical composition
of the early earth but they are working on it. I'm sure
they'll let us know when they find it. It can't be that
difficult as life started so soon after conditions were
suitable.

Is that a sign of a religious type of faith? No, I don't
think so. If, say, trilobites had appeared fully formed
500 million years ago then you could say something
suspicious was going on but as life had the good grace
to start in the sea (where things are more likely to be
buried and thus be undisturbed to mineralise properly)
we have so many really good fossils and can trace the
evolution of what is to be everything we know now
incredibly accurately.

(This is implicit
> in your second sentence I would say). This is by far the more
> interesting question to most folks who are religious. Call me
> stupid - and I'm sure you will -

No. sorry to disappoint you old chap ;-)

> but as Darwinism is a theory about
> how 'good' heritable traits are encouraged by natural selection, how
> could it EVER explain 'heritability' itself? Don't you need to
> presuppose 'life' to get Darwinian evolution going in the first
> place?

No. The ability evolve has, erm, evolved. Because for a billion
years or so life was simple bacteria it was only when two types
of bacteria, archae and eubacteria fused with a few others later
to form a more complex type of cell (eukaryote) with DNA in a
nucleus and sexual reproduction rather than division by simple
budding. That cell is the descendent of us and everything else,
our cells *still* have evidence of both types of early bacteria,
it's what they pass on when they replicate that's changed over
the years. When I say "our" I mean life on earth, cellularly
it's all the same.

But nobody really knows how DNA got going, yet. That it evolved
too seems obvious, to get all that way back in our understanding
and then say "Ah well, maybe there is a God" to get us over this
bit we don't understand seems sad to me. Some insist on that wiggle
room at the beginning being evidence of a divine hand and I guess
it's impossible to say for sure until all the facts are in but
I doubt it. I hope it'll be known in my lifetime though.

> If so, the latter can never provide an explanation for the former.
>
> That's not meant to be an argument for a 'God Of The Gaps'
> necessarily. But only to say that the supposed great conflict
between
> Darwinism and religion is just so much hot air. Especially in the
> hands of Dawkins!

Great conflict? I think the debate Richard Dawkins started
after 11/9 is essential for society, we have to question
whether what we believe is truth, fantasy, useful or outdated.
The only conflict is that some don't want to discuss it for some
reason.