> In a message dated 7/3/05 9:18:15 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Sorry,  but these allegations have been definitively
> refuted.
>
> For example,  regulations prohibit combatants from
> nominating themselves for Purple  Hearts.  The only
> person who can do so is the combatant's  commander.

Actually, I was mistaken; not only can you
not nominate yourself for a Purple Heart, your
commander can't do so either--because you are
*automatically entitled* to a Purple Heart for
a wound sustained in combat.  See:

http://www.purpleheart.org/Awd_of_PH.htm

> And the doctor who claims to have treated Kerry
> is  apparently misremembering, to put it politely.
> The name of an entirely  different physician is listed
> on the treatment  report.
>
> Of course the allegations were refuted! It wouldn't look good  to
> not challenge them.

I was using the term "refuted" in the sense of
"proven to be false."

> All the procedures to apply for purple heart were  followed to the
> letter. Otherwise he could not have gotten them.

As noted above, he did not "apply" for the Purple
Hearts; he was *automatically entitled* to them.

 And there are  questions
> unanswered about who wrote the reports and initialed them.The BIG
question was,
> were the applications thoroughly investigated by the  appropriate
> witnesses?

Apparently Vice Admiral R.A. Route, the Navy
inspector general, thought so.

> Kerry did Apply for three Purple Hearts

No, as noted, you can't "apply" for Purple Hearts.
You get them automatically.

> and I would  assume it would be very
> likely he could have seen different doctors for each  "wound."

I was referring to the same wound.  The doctor
who claimed to have treated that wound was not
the same as the doctor whose name was on the
treatment report for that wound.

> As for how common
> it was to receive a Purple Heart for such minor  wounds, I have
> heard differently than you, that at that time one had to really
> sustain a serious wound, not self inflicted,and lose time in the
> field to be  given that award.

You've been misled, unfortunately, in a whole
bunch of different respects.  For example, Bob
Dole's first Purple Heart was awarded for a
self-inflicted wound, "the sort of injury the
Army patched up with Mercurochrome and a Purple
Heart," according to his own account.

Self-inflicted wounds are eligible for Purple
Hearts if they were sustained in combat and
were not due to negligence or intentionally
self-inflicted.