Read up on flu viruses and vaccines; also read up on
what's known as "herd immunity."

Vaccines may have some side effects (rare in the
case of flu vaccines), but they do confer some
protection against the flu virus by stimulating
antibody production, so if there is a "fissure"
that the virus gets into, the body is better able
to fight it off.

It would be nice if we could manage to get
everybody's "fissures" closed, but that isn't
realistic.