--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "martyboi" <martyboi@...> wrote:

> Dude, nobody in "Cali" smokes doobies anymore...everyone is
> vaporizing. That is to say, they "vape."
>
> Just in case anyone doesn't know... A vaporizer heats the
> "contents" to a specific temperature that allows you to
> determine (by temperature) which aspects of the contents
> you would like to imbibe. FYI, the heater on a vaporizer
> is more than hot enough to ignite feathers.
>
> No smoke is emitted- after all smokers are considered "evil"
> here and are properly sneered at with long condescending faces.
> There are three stores within walking distance of my home in
> San Jose that sell the devices and/or the "medicine." One
> location has a "medicine sharing room" to help the
> "underprivileged".
>
> There is a lounge downtown where you are allowed to bring your
> own medicine. It is basically like a very well appointed bar
> filled with young, extremely beautiful ladies whose job it is
> to up-sell you overly-priced "munchies" after the "medicine"
> kicks in.

This is something to be treasured, and appreciated, even
if you don't imbibe. Me, I haven't really indulged in the
devil weed since my first visits to Amsterdam years ago,
but the main reason is that the Dutch, bowing to pressure
from within and outside the country, have destroyed the
concept of "pleasant places to smoke a little weed and
have fun conversations with intelligent people."

Most coffeehouses in the Netherlands these days are little
more than a walk-up counter at which to buy a gram or so
and take it back to your home and smoke it there. The few
shops that still allow smoking it on the premises are full
of -- sorry, but it's true -- dumbass dumbasses who wouldn't
recognize a good conversation if it snuck up and bit them
*on* their dumb asses. Where's the fun in that?

Lately the Dutch have gotten even more uptight in their
desire to make the legal marijuana thing seem to be not as
present as it really is. They have in recent months tried
to pass legislation is some towns that prevents foreigners
from going into coffeehouses (requiring the vendors to look
at people's passports). The latest is even more insane, and
a huge uproar and backlash is being felt against the neo-
conservatives who passed the legislation. They ruled that
"strong marijuana" (over 15% THC) should be classed as a
"hard drug," like heroin or cocaine, and thus should not
be allowed to be sold any more. The people who did this
did not even notice that the government-approved "medical
marijuana" is over that THC count, and that they had just
disenfranchised thousands of people who really DO use it
to help them get over the nausea associated with their
chemotherapy, and treat other illnesses.

One hopes that this is just a passing conservative fad here.
After decades of having one of the most progressive drug
policies on the planet, even though it doesn't affect me
personally I'd hate to see it all flushed down the toilet
because of a few uptight wannabee Inquisitors.