> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, azgrey <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yup. The "inexplainable season opener flashforward"
> > > is now a well-known device on BB. The teddy bear in
> > > the pool, which made no sense at all until the last
> > > episode of the season, etc. I suspect we won't know
> > > fersure why Walt is investing in such heavy iron
> > > until the last of these 16 episodes. And that it'll
> > > be a real trip getting there.
> >
> > Word.
> >
> > I'm down for any direction the writers wanna take it,
> > but my intuition tells me that we are going to find out
> > why the Cartel gave young Gustavo a pass when they killed
> > and bled out his chemist partner in the swimming pool.
> > It just feels like we are going to learn who it is in Chile
> > that Juan Bolsa with the Juarez did not wish to offend.
>
> I suspect you're right. I hadn't thought about the
> "progression" thing from small crook (small fish)
> to big crook (big fish), with Walt becoming more
> and more of a predator as he breaks badder, but
> it really works as a theme. So he's bound to meet
> and have to deal with even bigger fish than Gus.

[ For those who have not watched the series but
plan to someday, be warned: HERE BE SPOILERS ]

Wow. I hadn't seen the second episode when I wrote
the above. T'would seem you were right about the
German connection, and about the "bigger fish" who
will enter the picture now that "middle-sized fish"
Gus Fring is out of it.

I've opined in the past that Walt has never *really*
"broken bad," in that he's always struck me as being
in self-denial of how bad he'd become. That is now
a thing of the past. He's BAD, and he knows it. It
isn't just "I am the one who knocks" posturing for
his wife. He is one badass motherfucker.

I really loved Lydia. It's such a wonderful play
on the New Agey side of New Mexico and on the
multifaceted nature of villains that one of the big
players in the international drug trade tries to
order camomile tea with soy milk and stevia in
a diner where they don't know what she's talking
about, and is forced to settle for hot water with
lemon, all while passing a list with eleven names
on it over the table and asking the person she's
passing it to to kill all eleven.

I'm seeing an eventual showdown not only between Walt
and the international big fish who ran Gus, but
between him and Hank. It's previewed and hinted at
in the scene in which Hank's DEA boss is saying
goodbye, having had to throw himself under the bus
in the wake of having hob-nobbed with Gus, who was
posing as a "police supporter." He laments, "I had
him out to my house...Fourth of July...cooked out in
the back yard...my son shucked the corn, my daughter
cooked the potatoes...Fring brought sea bass. Every
time I grill it now I make a little foil pouch, just
like he showed me. The whole night we were laughing,
telling stories, drinking wine. And he's somebody
else completely. Right in front of me. Right under
my nose."

And the camera then shows us Hank's face, for seven
or eight seconds, which is an eternity in TV editing
time these days, and allows us to pre-imagine what
that face is going to look like when he finds out
about Walt.