And this is where SSRS and I disagree.

Recognizing ANYTHING is a form of thought. That is, by definition, the very
first act of the intellect: the universal conscious notes that it exists.
Likewise, it can be the very first act of our own internal equivalent: we note
that we exist -that we have pure consciousness. But since we have noting, we
have the ability to decide as well.

And.. the realization that you are not thinking the mantra can also BE the
mantra anyway. Avoiding the thinking of pink elephants, or recognizing that you
are not thinking about pink elephants, is still thinking about pink elephants.