[Darcy James Argue:]

>> What is the standard way to notate a sixteenth quintuplet when only the
>> final note is played?  What do you put under the bracket:

    Is there a standard way?  It seems sufficiently uncommon that I can't think
of any standard method.

[David H. Bailey:]

>I would put 4 16th-rests so the rhythm of the quintuplet is readily
>apparent.

     In quick reading, using this, I would think a performer might stumble over
counting the number of rests.
     I'd go for the crotchet (quarter) rest followed by the note, clearly
bracketed together with a "5".  There is the least clutter this way, and I don't
see how this could fail to be perfectly clear.  Second best is two quaver (8th)
rests, which is equally clear, but slightly more cluttered.
     Beyond those two choices, I would be more likely to stumble over any other
arrangement, particularly the one that starts with the semiquaver rest (16th)
followed by the dotted note, because I'd have to mentally add up all the rests
and deal with the unusual ordering of those rests.
     I don't agree with the notion that the first note always defines the basic
unit of the tuplet, and in fact I've never heard that idea before.  Tuplets can
include notes of varying lengths, and that can include the first note or rest in
the group, but they are all multiples of a basic unit.  The basic unit is
whatever the value is that divides evenly into all the notes, not the value that
happens to appear as the first note.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.