Hi guys,

I was *extremely disappointed* to find that in Finale 2004, you have still not fixed a long-standing but easy-to-fix problem with chord symbols.

When you have a staff which is set to use "Chromatic Transposition" instead of "Key Signature Transposition" in Staff Attributes (or using a Staff Style), the chord symbols assigned to this staff (still) do not transpose correctly. For instance, if I have a Bb trumpet staff which is set to "Chromatic Transposition: Bb (up M2)" and my score is set to Display in Concert Pitch, I might add the following (concert pitch) chord progression to the trumpet staff:

D-7 G7 Cmaj7

But when I turn off Display in Concert Pitch, or I extract the part, the music gets transposed for the player but the chords do not. What *should* happen in this case is that when I turn off Display in Concert Pitch, the chords should transpose along with the music -- i.e., the chord progression should now read:

E-7 A7 Dmaj7

But it doesn't. The music transposes but the chords don't. This is *obviously incorrect* -- a huge, glaring, embarrassing bug, behavior that is simply flat-out wrong. There are no circumstances when Finale's default behavior is correct or desirable. The only way to solve it is to go through and manually transpose all of the chord symbols.

This has been a problem ever since Finale added the "Chromatic Transposition" option back in Finale 97. It's very depressing that this simple, easy-to-fix bug *still* hasn't been fixed in Finale 2004. By now, I'm very used to the workaround, but many of my colleagues and students are new Finale users and I've seen them get bitten by this problem far too many times. They see that Finale transposes the notes appropriately, and it doesn't even cross their mind that the chords wouldn't be transposed as well. They bring parts to a reading session and everything's going fine until the solo section, when all of a sudden the soloist starts playing in the *wrong key* -- all because Finale doesn't transpose the chord symbols to match the music. I generally try to advocate for Finale over Sibelius every chance I get, but this behavior is impossible to defend and it's frustrating to see this one, easily fixable bug sour people on the program as a whole.

Especially when this bug persists, year after year.

Would you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]