Actually it wouldn't work for a Bb bass clarinet, but might for an EEb contra-alto. But the bass-clef-for-an-Eb-instrument play is an old one. It was included in the original Hal Leonard (when they were getting started) 6-part arranging scheme for marching band, so bari could read off tuba parts, and I probably learned it from that in about 1951. Of course if you're actually transposing at sight, you have to mentally add or subtract 3 sharps or 3 flats--I could figure it out, but it's too late! The last two summer we haven't tracked down a bassoonist for our summer musical, and the book has been played on bari.

John