> Bitter experience has taught me never to upgrade the OS (or anything
> else) unless absolutely necessary.

I'm of an almost entirely different opinion! I'll upgrade unless I can
find a compelling reason not to. I've found the OS improves in almost
every way with each new version. Things get fixed, performance often
improves, and many things get fixed, streamlined, or are made more
secure. This probably explains why I end up buying two or three new
macs every couple of years!

Generally I'll buy a copy of the new OS when it comes out and install
it on a spare mac, then monitor things like this list to see how
sensible it is to upgrade. I've always made backups, but thankfully
haven't ever had to restore.

Funnily enough, the biggest performance hit that I ever experienced was
between OS9 and OSX, and that was a result of having to use Quickeys X1
and X2, which were terrible for me at least. I've been using OSX since
it was bought out, but couldn't use it for engraving until FinMac 2005
and Quickeys X3. I haven't booted into OS9 since FinMac 2005. In my
experience I'm a little more sceptical about upgrading applications
rather than the OS.

I was getting so fed up of OS9 that I was considering jumping over to
Windows, OS9 sucked big time.
--
Simon Troup
Digital Music Art