On Mar 23, 2005, at 9:43 AM, John Howell wrote:

At 4:38 AM +0000 3/23/05, John Bell wrote:
PS On reflection, since you say the inverted A is beside both notes it's unlikely to be an articulation -- only one instance would appear in that case -- so unless my earlier suggestion of O for open string is wrong it must me something else that applies to each of the two notes. Such as an unorthodox accidental? It's hard to think of something that would need to be applied to each note as opposed to the pair of them.

John

A fingering would go over the notes. The only sign I can imagine being placed before the notes is a vertical bracket indicating non-divisi. An accidental would only make sense if the key signature needs to be cancelled for those notes.

The inverted A shows up on my Mac in the Symbol font and certain math fonts, in the character slot 34, normally taken up by a caesura ("railroad tracks" for any jazzers out there! // ) in a music font, or quotes " in a normal text font. In most math fonts it seems to be the + over a _, except for the Symbol font. In the Wingdings font it seems to be a pair of scissors, which I thought was cute (caesura, means cut? Heh, heh!)

It looks to me like you have a different font specified for the caesura than is usual, either because it's a file from someone else and you don't have the font he used on your computer, so it was substituted by another symbol font, or maybe you hit the font button by accident when you were creating or editing it, or else gamma radiation scrambled your printer's or your computer's confused little brain, and a restart of both might clear it up completely. Or you just have to go in and change the font for that one articulation. File corruption happens, and it is nobody's fault.

Or maybe (I have seen this) someone created the caesura as a text expression instead of using the supplied articulation. To know for sure, double-click on the thing with the Selection Tool (arrow), and the tool that created it will be selected automatically.

Christopher