At 12:20 AM 7/3/2007 +0100, Owain Sutton wrote:
>How about when a harmonic can be produced either as a natural harmonic
>or an artificial one - if a composer prefers the timbre of one over the
>other, which we can hopefully agree is a major difference, why not
>notate it as such?

If there is, and if it matters, then of course. But how often are those
differences more significant than the differences among instruments and
performers? The natural and artificial harmonics have differences that are
audible in solo writing, and depending on which harmonic is used among the
artificials, they also comprise different (even if limited) spectra.

To my mind, if those differences exceed the likely differences from one
performer/instrument to another, then yes, notate it. But if it is a
passing effect or an orchestral (choir) effect whose cumulative difference
is less significant, then I'd leave it to the performer. (My own writing is
more interested in the 'cloud' than the 'droplets', so to speak, meaning
the notation of specific instructions like these is excessive and
effectively meaningless.)

Now I haven't looked at, for example, the score to Barlow's "Orchidiae
Ordinariae" in which the string harmonics imitate the sound of the human
voice. Maybe the balance among the dozens of harmonics was critical to
achieve that effect; I don't know.

>I refer to my Britten example from earlier - I honestly don't think I
>could have worked out how to play it without the mechanical instruction
>of the original.

Perhaps so; I don't know how much training in harmonics a violinist gets
compared to, say, a guitarist, whose scores are littered with harmonics. In
looking at your Britten example, I can see which strings those harmonics
might fall on for greatest volume, if only because of knowing the harmonic
series pretty intimately for electronic work. But there are so many
harmonic combinations for a given result, and I'm not sure what Britten was
looking for, nor how idiomatic it was intended to be. If I needed it, I'd
grab Zukofsky's great chart and use that (which I assume violinists would
know by heart, and not need me anyway).

>And similarly in Stravinsky, I'm thinking of one
>passage in his concerto where the violin *could* play artificial
>harmonics throughout, but can also produce the same pitches with a much
>stronger tone by the use of far less obvious natural harmonics.  If a
>composer creates something specifically to make idiomatic use of an
>instrument in the latter way, notating it as such is absolutely correct.

Agreed. It's a matter of how important a particular harmonic quality is.
Harmonics are by their nature quite pale, so the reason to use one instead
of another is more a question of volume, intonation (the problem in 12TET
music) and the increased in proportional noise on harmonics higher in the
series.

But if a given string brand, instrument quality and performer technique
produces better volume of this essentially colorless tone in a less
traditional position, then that would be the choice for the performer, not
me. (The same with electronics; I'd prefer to specify the parameters and
result rather than the knobs to turn and buttons to press.)

Dennis