Stu McIntire wrote:
I would appreciate someone pointing me to a resource that tells how best to
go about getting permission to set a published poem to music, with the
expectation that the resulting piece will be performed and published
eventually, even if just by me.
I'm not sure quite what you mean by a resource, but what you need to do is to determine whether the poem is subject to copyright, if it is, then to determine the identity of the copyright administrator or owner, and contact the administrator or owner seeking permission. Since you specify that the poem has already been published, the first place to start is with the copyright and permissions department of the publisher of the version you have; they should be able to advise you if they control the copyright, or whether it is controlled by another entity, and if it is controlled by another entity, the contact information for that entity. If there is any doubt or uncertainty in your mind about the work, you might want to dig further; I have had the experience of an entity claiming copyright when, in fact, they were not entitled to copyright in the work; the work was in the public domain.

Keep in mind, to, that permission to reproduce a copyright item, simply conveys permission to make a copy of the words of the poem. The issue of performing the material, while not entirely unrelated, is a different matter, and would involve separate permission.

ns