Bruce Hunter wrote:
Sorry, I'm the one who was not clear. Actually I hadn't meant to suggest anything, just reporting what a reproduction of the original score indicated.

Andrew Stiller has reminded me that recorders aren't transposing instruments. I guess, like the bass clef instruments that don't transpose. The fiction is maintained by transposing the fingering charts, of course. It appears I'm the only person in the whole world that is bothered by this, so I guess I need to let it be.

Actually, many people who begin with soprano recorder are bothered by this all the time.

And there are editions which provide 'transposed' alto recorder parts, so that a soprano player doesn't have to learn a second set of fingerings to play the alto recorder, but looks at the music and fingers it just as if they were playing soprano, and it comes out sounding properly when played on alto.

Speaking as a person for whom recorder was my first woodwind (I started on trumpet and played that and euphonium only before learning recorder), it took me all of a week or so to learn alto recorder as a separate instrument. It's not hard at all.

--
David H. Bailey