Matthew,

The ability to enter ties is already in Speedy (equal sign).

Chuck

On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:13 PM, Matthew Hindson (gmail) wrote:

> In support of accreditation and other requirements, we're planning on
> adding technology modules to our existing courses in theory and
> musicianship (sight-singing/eartraining). There is no way to add any
> separate course to the curriculum.

Over the past 5 years I have used Finale Notepad in my music theory teaching. It's great because (1) students can hear what they are writing, especially if they don't play the piano, and (2) it gives them a basic introduction to music notation.

Point (1) is wonderful and so liberating for the students. It brings music theory to life.

The new paid-application status of Finale Notepad, while not especially onerous, makes it more of a hassle. So I am now encouraging my students to use MuseScore which is free and which has a whole lot more facility than Notepad.

MuseScore is currently on Windows and Linux, but some people are making
a Mac version. http://musescore.org

It's still slightly clunky in some areas (esp. playback) but it has
fabulous potential.

Increasing the usage of your computer lab is an interesting one.  I am
grappling with the same issue. Basically students now all have laptops or desktops, and they much prefer to do their work at home rather than a lab. I wonder how much an investment in a computer lab is going to be worth in the future.

Matthew

P.S. I'm with you all the way re. Speedy Entry.  Makemusic could add
lots of the great facilities of Simple to Speedy if they wanted to (e.g.
ability to enter ties and expression/articulation metatools) and it
would be a world-beater.  IMHO.

Chuck Israels
230 North Garden Terrace
Bellingham, WA 98225-5836