On 19 Sep 2009 at 22:07, Ray Horton wrote:

> What's the smallest laptop or notebook upon which one could run
> Finale?   I would assume without Garritan?   Just something I could
> carry around to work with when I have a few minutes to spare, then port
> over to my desktop at home?  Will it run on a Dell Mini 10?

Most of the machines in the netbook class have specs that exceed what
most people had on their desktops 5 years ago (i.e., all the non-
brand-new machines), so I'd say it's not likely to cause problems.

I would say, though, that you should max out the RAM, as most of the
machines in this class default to .5GBs of RAM. Many of them max out
at 1GB, but 2GBs would be preferable if they support it.

The only problem with netbook-class machines that I can think of that
you might have is that they might lack adequate onboard sound support
such that you would need to use USB sound components. Aside from the
portability issue, that can be important because many netbooks have
only 2 USB ports.

I'm waiting for a netbook with 4GBs of maximum RAM and a 64GB solid
state drive. That would be a really sweet machine on which to run
Windows 7 (which 3rd parties have already tested in *beta* and found
to run faster on netbook-class hardware than WinXP).