David W. Fenton wrote:
On 13 Apr 2010 at 22:09, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

I have a 1st / 2nd ending at the end of a movement. I know typically
those bars have the same number. (bar 8 in my case)

But the next section starts off with a pick-up beat. Would that be Bar
no 8 too? Next full bar then 9?

Or would the pick-up bar start at 9 with next full measure as bar 10?

Only measures with a downbeat are counted and numbered. Thus, a pickup at the beginning is measure 0, the first complete measure, #1.

The pickup of the next section would be the completion of an incomplete measure at the end of the section that precedes it, so it wouldn't be numbered.

I know that some people argue that a 1st and 2nd ending measure should have the same number, but this is confusing in rehearsal, so it's customary, in my experience, to number them seperately, even though this will make the numbering off for, say, pieces with regular 8-bar phrases. In the case of an AB form of 8 bars each with a 1st and 2nd ending at the end of A, the 2nd ending would be numbered 9 and the beginning of the B 10, even though from a musical form standpoint, you'd really want both the 1st and 2nd ending to be numbered 8 so that the B section can begin on measure 9. The reason is that in rehearsal, it gets really complicated to say "go to the 2nd measure 8". It's not so much of a problem for 1-measure 1st and 2nd endings, but if there's more than one measure you end up saying something like "start at the 4th measure of the 2nd ending" instead of just "start in measure 14".

It also makes it a lot easier to do your measure numbering in Finale, since as long as you don't have pickups/partial bars, you don't have to set up but one measure number region.

I would number them Na and Nb. I've done this for a long time and it has never caused any confusion.