Hi Blake,

Tuplets across barlines are commonplace in contemporary music. Fracturing them
into mirrored half-tuplets is misspelling them. And if you also have staggered
or nested tuplets in the score you'll see how important it is to spell them
correctly. So put the tuplet across the barline if that's what your client has
specified.

In practical terms, enter the tuplet as normal and hide an equivalent value of
the tuplet portion that falls across into in the next measure. A little
tweaking of the spacing will be needed when you're done.

If it must break across a system (avoid it if you can for tuplet clarity) it's
a little more complicated because the barline prison doesn't like to be broken
out of. If you have staggered or nested tuplets especially, you can place part
of the tuplet at the barline and use a parenthetical fractured tuplet below
(kind of like the phonetic versions of names you'll see on a news reader's
teleprompter).

Dennis