At 8:22 PM -0400 10/29/10, David W. Fenton wrote:
On 29 Oct 2010 at 16:53, Chuck Israels wrote:

 That is the explanation I expected, but it's hard for me to swallow
 the reasoning that this tradition should hold for modern valved horns
 and not for trumpets - more or less modern valved bugles.

Conventions and traditions don't have to be logical, and often are not. And you might not like them, but that won't change them.

I would be interested to know what the part sets that go with modern
critical editions have in them, i.e., if they have both natural horn
parts in C and parts notated with a key signature for horns in F.

As you know, most modern part sets are reprints of public domain sets, so those normally have only the original parts. But Luck's, Kalmus, and perhaps others have made a point of preparing and publishing sets that include transposed parts for modern "standard" instruments, including clarinets in Bb, trumpets in Bb, and horns in F, and quite often trombone parts in bass clef as well.

Highly experienced orchestral players often prefer to read from the original parts, feeling (as do many early music players) that they provide information that's lost in a modern edition.

Critical editions are a different animal, and I'm not sure how those sets are handled. Since they are also almost always much more expensive than the reprints (especially the Bärenreiter editions), I usually see the reprint parts.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.