On 30 Oct 2010 at 10:01, Florence + Michael wrote:

> The last time I had to mark up a set of orchestral parts from a
> critical Bärenreiter edition of a Mozart opera, there were two sets of
> horn parts. The horn players told me they preferred to use the parts
> written as in the original, without key signatures.

Both parts of that don't surprise me, i.e., that Bärenreiter provides
alternate parts in "modern" notation, and that the players prefer the
original!

> As to David's original question, I would think that the key signature
> was just a mistake made by a careless engraver.

This is my conclusion at this point, but it's unusual to find such a-
musical things in engraving, in my experience. I have come to be
believe that most engravers were fine musicians with good musical
judgment, and served as another layer of editing to make the readings
clearer and better.

This particular edition is not from a major publisher, so I've not
seen anything to compare it to.