In other words, it's sort of a 'figured soprano.'

Aaron J. Rabushka
arabus...@austin.rr.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Nigel Hanley" <i...@nigelhanley.com>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] Topline notation question

Topline notation as described tells the guitarist to play chords with the indicated rhythm and the indicated top note of the voicing. On a guitar part, we need to know whether to voice the melodic line, or play it as a single line melody. This type of notation indicates that. Otherwise you would need more 'English' on the part. And as someone once said, you don't want to have to write the player a letter.