Yes, there are very good reasons not to include chords in spacing!

If you put a chord symbol over, say, an eighth note, it opens up a giant amount
of space in front of the next note. It doesn't seem to know that there isn't a
chord on the next note.

Also, putting a check on Chords in Music Spacing doesn't seem to have any
effect unless we have actual entries in the measure. It only seems to avoid
collisions between ENTRIES with chords on them. If we have chord symbols over
notes in the measure, there isn't really a good way to space them, except maybe
putting hidden rests in another layer, which would mean having to adjust stem
directions, etc.

Christopher