On 26-Oct-12, at 26-Oct-12  7:38 PM, SN jef chippewa wrote:

>> 2) opening files in Finale 2012 that were produced in older versions
>> of Finale will display differently (and wrongly). I've already been
>> "gotcha'ed" by the latter more than once.
>
> on this point i can't really comment, you talk in really general
> terms.  but it could possibly be helpful to submit specific cases to
> support that could possibly help them resolve at least some of these
> issues.  some of the "gotchas" probably can't be avoided... but the
> conversion should of course work for the majority of cases.

Hi jef,

The regret is mine, but Finale doesn't even come close to opening old
files correctly in many areas. Between staff lists for expressions,
poor font substitution routines, slurs, inexplicable problems in
spacing, chord symbols changing how they transpose in non-key-
signature staves, and strange unreproducible bugs that only happen
once in a while (like chords, lyrics or repeat endings changing their
height - yes I know how to drag the arrows, but wonder why it is
necessary to do so on certain files, repeatable for 28 parts), I
sometimes have hours of work in front of me when opening an old file
(worse for older files, say pre-2002.)

I have sent some files off to tech support, but they shrug and give
me cleanup routines that I mostly know already. I have seen no
evidence that any effort is being made to import older files more
transparently.

Christopher