Jari Williamson's post reminded me that for those many years at Manhattan
School I taught in 20th Century Theory some analysis of sections of the Rite,,
including the Grand Danse Sacral, as written up by Boulez from the famous
Messiaen classes.  The pieces were broken down in small bits, defined by
material and duration, which made up phrases.  Brilliant work, and the kids
could really see it and hear it.  All kids took this class, but I  don't
believe the other teachers used this material.  It still excites me!

Katherine Hoover