Hi Dennis,

I've done similar things for Christian Wolff.

In the score, you need to make one staff for each player.

Then hide the unneeded staves as necessary using the "collapse" staff style,
taking care to apply the style to the SCORE ONLY.

Use another staff style to relabel the staff names as needed — this one is safe
to apply to both score and parts.

Then, when you are ready to create the parts, make sure the Violin I part
includes all six Violin I staves.

Lay out the part and hide the unneeded staves as necessary, using optimization
or, in recent versions, "Hide Empty Staves."

This means you will have some Violin systems which contain all 6 staves. That's
okay, IMO, and it beats the hell out of creating 6 individual, customized
Violin I parts, one for "Violin I-1," one for "Violin I-2," etc.

[But if you really need six individual, customized parts, the process is
similar. However, in this case, you will be using the "collapse" staff style to
hide score staves containing music that will not be hidden in the parts.]

Cheers,

- DJA
-----
WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org