Mike,

I've given up on the rear CW jack for straight key use, at least for now. I
haven't mentioned it much lately, but probably should. My symptons are not
as bad as your's, but similar.

I use COM1 on my PC for straight key use. COM1 is a real COM port on my new
quad core motherboard, kind of rare these days. One user (I think W9OY)
commented on this reflector, that it is best to use a real COM port and not
a USB to serial converter. It depends on how busy the USB bus is. SIIG makes
a PCI card with a pair of serial ports. The catch 22 is that PCI slots are
getting hard to come by on new mother boards.

Dale, replied that you should clean your contacts. It is true that my
scratchier straight keys were more problematic. But all straight keys, even
my best one, have problems on the rear CW jack. I should add this to the Bug
Tracker.

73,

Steve N6VL