> > Hmm, which version of gcc did your cross-compiler install?
>
> mingw32-gcc-4.4.0-0.7.fc11 (i586) is the package and gcc --ver tells
> gcc-Version 4.4.1 20090725 (Red Hat 4.4.1-2) (GCC)

Hm, OK. Do the Fedora repos not still have an older stable version you
could install instead? It seems odd that they are only pushing out a
"cutting edge" version and not also supplying the stable release.
(I don't have a Fedora box to check this on...)

> Yes, I also tried to find out, what this is good for and it
> is ment for
> passing exceptions between dlls. But I did'nt really understand, what
> this is good for. %)

Are you propagating exceptions in your code? Fltk does not, but your own
code may be. If not, then you probably don't even need this anyway...

> > For gcc 4.x they introduced this DLL, which you need if you
> link with a
> > shared gcc, but I am told that you can simply do a
> "-static-libgcc" in
> > your build and then you will not need the DLL (although
> what happens to
> > exception handling I am not clear about.)
>
> What in detail do you mean by simply doing a
> "-static-libgcc"? This is
> an option to what? I think, I want to try it out, but how to do?

You need to add "-static-lbgcc" to the options passed to the linker.

> >  From gcc 4.4 (or thereabouts) I understand that they have
> switched to a
> > DWARF based object format, and that works around the need
> for this DLL
> > in some different way - I have not looked into this aspect
> at all however.
>
> "DWARF"? Wow, that sounds really funny - did you know, that
> "M81 dwarf
> B" is 15,3 million lightyears away from earth? :o)

The "conventional" binary format on linux (and quite a lot of other
systems) is called ELF, which stands for "Executable and Linkable
Format". That's the format that object files and executable are stored
in.
However there was a feeling that the ELF format did not store enough
information for some debugging and analysis, so the DWARF format "Debug
With Attributed Record Format" was created to aid in debugging - it is
basically ELF with extras...

Note that MS Windows uses an older binary format however - COFF "Common
Object File Format", which is partly why you can't just use your linux
compiler to build Windows binaries... You need a toolchain that knows
about COFF.

> You are right, but because I want to use Eclipse IDE and
> didn't find a
> possibility to change names of toolchains (only possibility to change
> paths) this seems to be the only way to proceed. Obviously
> this means,
> FLTK makefiles are more sophisticated than Eclipse, I'm sorry! ;o)

In this case, what I usually do is write a Makefile (generally using
fltk-config) and then simply have Eclipse run the Makefile, rather than
trying to use the Eclipse project stuff.
The Makefile approach is very simple, very portable and easy to
configure...

This howto shows how easy it is to write a portable Makefile using
fltk-config:
http://www.fltk.org/articles.php?L599

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132