Dear Zoe,

There you go.

Fabrice.

Name: Fabrice Arfi

Occupation: Student/lecturer in Performing Arts and Media.

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Postal address:

Fabrice Arfi

 The University of Derby

School of Art and Design

Britannia Buildings,

Mackworth road

Derby

DE22  3BL

UK

Please use the space below to describe an artwork.

 It's a black and white photograph with a dark grey frame and has dark grey and white writings on it. The photograph represents what I would assume to be a bricklayer. He's looking deadly serious and you can read the effort on his face as he's posing , carrying a specially shaped piece of wood on his shoulders which allows him to carry bricks around his head, as if he was himself encased in bricks. He's wearing a really big "puffed up" flat cap which wouldn't look out of place on a rastafarian, if it wasn't for the material: tweed. It must be winter, for he's also wearing a woolen knit jumper and a scarf he's tucked into an old waistcoat made from a similar material as the cap. I think he's wearing pleat-front pin-stripe trousers, which seem quite out of place, considering his trade. Actually, he looks like he just picked up old clothes from a charity shop and uses them as his work clothes. his left hand is holding a piece of fabric or some kind of rag in ord! er to protect it from the abrasive contact of the wood where he's holding the oddly shaped plank of wood that supports the bricks. His right hand is clasped on his waist, possibly in an effort to sturdy his right shoulder and to prevent the bricks from toppling. he seems to be emerging out of darknessand you can barely make out his legs. Accross them, at the level of his crotch, is written in bold dark grey letters: "August" and then immediatelly below, in much bigger font, almost touching the edge of the frame: "Sander". Lower in white" 'In photography there are no unexplained shadows' "

lower again, writings: National portrait gallery 28 February-8 June 1997

Then, it's kind of hard to make out what's written, but I can see the little sign for the tube and I think it reads "Leicester Square or Charring Cross" afterwards.

Below, at the left bottom corner, is the acronym for the National Portrait Gallery, with the "P" circled in white.

The whole thing looks pretty crumpled, but somebody must like it if it's been on the wall since 1997. It's pinned down with four round-headed brass thumb-tacks onto the library announcement board. It is surrounded with other posters advertising other long gone exhibitions and signs to tell you the price of colour laser printing (50p per sheet), which is a ripp off.