On 20/04/2016 2:25 PM, Daniel Eischen wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Allan Jude wrote:

On 2016-04-20 01:12, Daniel Eischen wrote:

For one of our Solaris 11 boxes, which also serves as a VNC
thin client server and NFS server, we have:

  [sol11] $ pkg list | wc -l
     968

That server includes the gnome desktop, firefox, thunderbird,
perl, python, wireshark, CDR tools, etc.  So arguably, it is
comparable to my FreeBSD desktop at home with KDE, firefox,
thunderbird, and similar tools.  For that FreeBSD box, and
just for ports packages (since I don't have base pkg'd):

  [freebsd11] $ pkg info | wc -l
     865

[And it really bothers me that FreeBSD 'pkg list' behaves
 like 'pkg files' or similar should.  It seems intuitive
 that 'pkg list' should list the packages, not all the files
 in all the packages.]

If you add in 750+ FreeBSD base packages (1600+), that seems
like a very large number of packages.  And upgrading ports
packages is not always painless.  For the 865 FreeBSD packages
I have installed, only 27 of them are explicit - the rest are
dependencies.  I do not look forward to updating my packages,
even with poudriere.  There is usually manual intervention
required.  So it is with this experience that I do sort of
cringe at having 750+ FreeBSD base packages.

I do like maintaining Solaris 11 boxes much better with their
pkg management, much better than the old patchadm.

does 'pkg prime-list' give you watch you are looking for? (pkgs you
explicitly installed)

pkg prime-list does show the explicitly installed packages,
not sure how one would know to use 'prime-list' since it
doesn't appear in any of the man pages (looking at FreeBSD
10-stable right now).  And it doesn't show version information,
nor other option arguments that I can tell.  pkg help prime-list
says it's just an alias for "query -e '%a = 0' '%n'".  Seems
like "query -e '%a = 0' '%n\t%v\t%o'" is a little nicer,
though I'm not sure how to get all the columns to line up
nicely.
equally missing from help is 'pkg leaf'

These show that information needed is available.. it just needs to be presented right.