To point  out the obvious, booting a 12.0 kernel with 11  userland to multiuser mode is seriously unsupported. You really need to boot to single user and install 12.0 userland to really expect things to work.

Yes, good point. This has worked on every other machine I have upgraded from 11 to 12, which is why I didnt think of that, but then all the motherboards are slightly different.

Is there a reason that a standalone boot is not possible?

Sort of - I am on a serial console to do this, which works in the BIOS,
and works after the kernel has started booting, but does not work in the
loader for some reason, so I can't select single user. So I go to single
user by booting multi user and the shutting down. Of course I could use
nextboot, so its just lazyness on my part actually.

Thanks for pointing this out, I immediately jumped to the CARP conclusion due to last weeks experiences on the other machine,
but actually this is far more likely to be the issue.

-pete.

PS: apparently I have been playing fast and loose with this - and bothering the mailing list about it - since 2005... :-)

http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/upgrading-5-4-gt-6-0-without-reinstalling-safe-td3932902.html

Time to change my ways I think!