Mike Jakubik wrote:
John Baldwin wrote:

That is partly because when you run top it queries the resource usage of the various processes via fill_kinfo_proc(). When you don't run top, no one is asking for the resource usage numbers, so the kernel doesn't waste time calculating them.

Right, also running ps has the same effect. But why do these messages occur?

In both cases your errors are for a long-running kernel process that's been up since boot. What's the uptime on your box?

Not sure what the uptime was, this box is not in production yet so i shut it off regularly. I would guess under an hour.

I used to be able to get these predictably on FreeBSD 5, except then it could actually cause a panic. If you run "top -s 0" (as root) you can get these errors arriving at a spectacular rate.