On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 05:24:25AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-Jul-24 16:00:08 +0100, Pete French <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes it does.  The major difference is that ntpd will use a source
> port of 123 whilst ntpdate will use a dynamic source port.

Is that behaviour that can be defeated?  If it uses a fixed
source port, then multiple ntpd clients behind a nat firewall
will be competing for the same ip quadtuple at the NAT box.  (Or
does ipnat or pf have the ability to fake different source
addresses?)

(I've had what I think is this problem with a VPN setup, where
only one client behind the NAT firewall could run the VPN client
at a time, because the VPN protocol used a fixed port and UDP.
Maybe my NAT rules need more sophistication?  I don't pay all
that much attention to it...)

Cheers,

--
Andrew