Hi Bonnie and happy new year still :-)

Bonnie Dalzell wrote:

> i use freedos from a dos formatted partition to boot into full screen
> freedos on a machine that also boots linux. i am happy with that.
>
> i also use freedos to boot from within a linux partition using xdosemu.
>
> i am happy with that except i have to run a little script first.
>
> this is the script
>
> #! /bin/bash
> echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr

True true... I wonder how bad it would be if Ubuntu and
Debian made this the default anyway. Instead of a script,
I simply changed the global settings in /etc/sysctl.conf:

(the file is longer, I only paste the modified lines here)

# protect bottom 64k of memory from mmap to prevent NULL-dereference
# --- breaks dosemu and wine --- vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
vm.mmap_min_addr = 0

With this modification, after the next reboot, you no longer
have to run the script any more.

Eric

PS: I wonder when the dosemu.org page will describe 1.4 ;-)